Sunday, September 21, 2008

Searching RSS Feeds

Out of all the search tools, I found the bloglines searchtool the best. I think I searched for news on any new spider-man movies (apparently Sony has snagged Toby Maguire, and Sam Raimi for Spider-man 4 and 5...whoa!). Topix.net I found wasn't useful because keyword and phrase searching isn't very helpful when you are looking for a particular subject to be constantly updated on (I want to find a newsfeed about Sour Cream, instead they bring something up about chili which you can put sour cream on...go figure!). That's the one interesting thing as in terms of feeds, as it's hard to find specific feeds, more often you'll find a feed that includes the topic you were searching for. Syndic8 I thought was mostly useless. User submitted stuff is always iffy. I only searched for gas stuff, and it came up with something, but I still don't like the layout of the search engine. Often feeds seemed to be in the process of being evaluated to determine whether they're worthy of being part of Syndic8 or something...

Weblogs..pretty easy to find stuff but the information I found seemed to be limited and not very informative..short little blurbs...it was hard to tell whether the blurbs were summaries or whether there was a way to access the full blog. I did however learn about Ps3's Life program that it is part of the most recent firmware update...apparently you can access it through Folding_Home which is a program that uses PS3's to help Stanford scientists do protein folding simulations to help research diseases like cancer and stuff. The life program lets you view the the earth..zoom in on particular cities..get the weather and news...much like the Wii allows you to do. Word.

No comments: