Saturday, August 30, 2008

REtreiver

Sooooo...I browsed the third party programs for Flickr, and came across one I thought was quite fun. It's called Retriever. It allows you to search Flickr images by doing little sketches in this little box that acts like a paint program. The application then attempts to find pictures that look similar to what you sketched in the box. The results are...mixed. It does fine at finding images with the same colors you use, but it can be a little iffy when searching by lines, and shapes. Also, its hard to actually draw a proper representation of something you may have in mind, the box is small, and brush sizes they offer are too big to be precise. One result that was interesting was when I randomly attempted sketching the likeness of Daxter from the Jak and Daxter video game series (I'm really not sure why it came to mind) and Retreiver ended up finding a picture of a giraffe, and then I realized the orange blob I was creating did look like a giraffe.

All in all, a cool program, just could use some refining.

No comments: